top of page
  • Writer's pictureLeitner Varughese Warywoda

How Do I Report Nursing Home Abuse?

When you have concerns about nursing home abuse, how are you supposed to report those concerns or allegations? And do you need to submit an official complaint or report about nursing home abuse in order to file a nursing home negligence lawsuit in New York? The primary thing to know is that there are multiple ways to report elder abuse concerns, and, regardless of whether you file an official complaint, you can seek advice from a nursing home negligence attorney in New York about filing a lawsuit against the facility where your elderly loved one was injured.

Contacting an Ombudsman in New York

The federal Older Americans Act (OAA) requires every state in the U.S. to have an Ombudsman Program, and an Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman. The Ombudsman Program in New York is supposed to play four key roles, including advocating on behalf of nursing home residents who have concerns about rights and safety, mediating between families and long-term care facilities, providing educational materials to communities concerning elder care and abuse, and referring complaints to the New York State Department of Health or another agency when the Ombudsman Program cannot resolve an issue or complaint.

If you have questions about nursing home abuse or want to find out more about options for a complaint, it is possible to locate your local ombudsman in New York.

Reporting Nursing Home Abuse to the New York State Department of Health

You can report nursing home abuse or neglect by filling out a Nursing Home Complaint Form through the New York State Department of Health. The Department of Health’s Division of Nursing Home and ICF/IID Surveillance is tasked with “investigating complaints about resident abuse, neglect, mistreatment, and incidents occurring in nursing homes in New York State that are related to a State and/or Federal regulatory violation.” Complaints that the Department receives can be made anonymously, and the complaint can be submitted in a number of ways: electronically, over the phone, by fax, or by mailing a hard copy.

Calling Local Law Enforcement

If you believe that your elderly loved one is at immediate risk of harm in a nursing home, or if you reside in a nursing home and have concerns about immediate safety, you can report nursing home abuse or neglect to local law enforcement by calling 911.

Reporting Concerns About Nursing Home Abuse to a Lawyer in New York to Find Out More About Filing a Claim

You should also report your concerns to a New York nursing home negligence attorney who can assess your case and help you to determine whether it may be possible to file a lawsuit against the nursing home where the incident occurred.

Contact a New York Nursing Home Abuse Attorney

Do you have questions about reporting nursing home abuse or filing a claim? Our firm knows how important it is to make sure that your elderly loved ones are safe, and to hold facilities accountable when nursing home abuse and negligent injuries occur. One of our experienced New York nursing home negligence lawyers can speak with you today. Contact Leitner Varughese Warywoda PLLC for more information.


bottom of page